Saturday, March 12, 2011

Exploitation of me

A few weeks ago my boss confided to me that "you're helping me do big business here.  You're my star, everyone wants to hear your accent and all the students who have you love you."  Did my hours increase? No.  Did my pay increase?  No.  Did I have enough money to pay for my apartment?  Barely.  I just can't get over the idea of someone else making money because I am a good worker.  Shouldn't I see some of that?  If I'm going to bring something to a company, clients, skills, word of mouth advertising, shouldn't I see something more than $313 for around 130 hours of work?  Anyway, my American instincts of pure capitalism caused me a mini heart attack of defiance.  The problem is that when I become indolent with my work here, I'm not punishing my company, I'm punishing my students.  Which I just cannot do.  So... I quit.  And I'm bringing my dreams back to the US to rewrite my future; one mistake down, many to go.  Just not the same ones. :)

In other news, I was lucky enough to visit the islands outside Cartagena this week and I finally got some rest.  Despite being about as pretty as Cancun's worst beach, the atmosphere was total vacation and I got some vitamin D. :)  Now, I'm just waiting to know if I've been cut out of the system at Berlitz (I'm not working this Saturday, which is weird) so I can sign up for a Spanish class and get my life together before I make my humble return.

More later.

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment